Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What I learned in the first trimester

"How are you feeling" is the dumbest question anyone can ask. If the person asking has ever been pregnant than "still pregnant" is an acceptable answer. There really isn't more than needs to be said, they'll understand completely. If the person asking hasn't been pregnant than the chances are they don't really want to know how you're feeling. The only good answer is "good" or "ok" because the real answer is something like "I've never been so tired in my life and when I'm not stuffing my face -because I think I may be growing a tapeworm rather than a human - I feel like I'm on a really small boat in the middle of the gulf during a tropical storm and I really need to poop but all I can manage is this foul gas. My back hurts and my boobs ache and any kind of commercial that involves a child or baby animal of any kind makes me burst into tears. Now please excuse me because I have to go pee. Again". And let's be honest, no one really wants to hear all of that. I learned pretty early on that people's eyes glazed over when I gave them even the short version of the above answer so I learned to just grin and say "good" as I tried my best not to puke all over them. Now that I'm in my second trimester (Yay!) I can actually answer truthfully that I feel good. Not great. I don't love being pregnant. But I feel much much better than I did and I'm very happy about it.

So yes, I survived the first 3 1/2 months and even though I still have lots of fun things to look forward to (the bloody noses are fun and so is this shooting pain in my right lower back that I think may be sciatica) I am feeling really good about this pregnancy. I'm not as worried about everything - still worried about a lot of things but not such a complete stressball - and I've got a really fantastic support system that I'm thankful for every day. When I do start freaking out about something I have family and friends who will listen to me and talk me down from the ledge without laughing too hard in my face. It's amazing the things my brain comes up with to be nervous about now that I have this little bean to worry about.

So I haven't gained any weight yet  - I do strongly believe that I have re-distributed weight though, based on how my pants now fit. All my bloodwork and tests have come back normal and the baby is right on track, size wise. At my appointment Monday we couldn't find the heartbeat with the little doppler thing so they did a quick sonogram and there was the bean, waving and kicking away, heartbeat fluttering like a little hummingbird. This was my 3rd time seeing the baby and I still tear up every time. It is just so amazing to me that I have this little miracle baby growing inside me. And I can see the images really well for some reason, it is so clear to me that I'm seeing my baby. I always was really good at those hidden 3D image posters that used to be so popular back in the day...

The only bummer is that we won't find out the sex of our bean until January 5th. I was really hoping to find out before Christmas, specifically on my birthday, but the timing was off I guess and we won't know until 2012. I'm disappointed but if this is the worst things I deal with in the next 6 months than I'm one lucky and happy momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment